Yoga meditation is all about creating the right balance of mind and body and using it to your advantage. There are different yoga and meditation techniques that can help us reach a healthy well being lifestyle. In this section of yoga and meditation we bring together the different types of yoga, yoga benefits and the simple answers behind most asked questions like how to meditate. But before we get into the details of yoga and meditation, let’s take a look at these simple yoga meditation tips to understand this form of health better.
Yoga and Health
Many of us think, that yoga is very difficult and it can’t give the desired results that we want. We prefer aerobics or other forms of exercise as compared to yoga. But yoga is all about discipline and it is not at all difficult. Of course there are different levels of yoga, but you get to keep fit and also relax and calm your inner self all at the same time. Here are some quick yoga tips to get you started off.
- Just like any other form of exercise you need to practice yoga techniques everyday and with discipline.
- Yoga focuses on different aspects of the body, so select yoga forms according to your requirement. There are levels to yoga, so don’t think that you can carry out a complicated yoga asana overnight.
- Time is very important in yoga forms. Morning time is the best, however select a time that works for you and stick to it. Don’t go on rotating your time, according to your requirements.
Yoga and Diet
Yoga lays a lot of emphasis on natural foods that are grown from nature, rather than junk or fast food. You must have heard die hard yogis go for raw foods with frequent fasts that help the body to get rid of toxins. They believe that a reduction in body helps in the development of mind. By increasing the detachment of the body and lowering our physical consciousness, we raise our spiritual counterpart, helping us relax and keep calm.
Foods to Eat:
• Fresh, sweet fruits of all types, preferably taken whole.
• All vegetables except onions and garlic.
• Whole grains, such as rice, wheat and oats.
• Ideally beans like mung, aduki and tofu, other types in moderation.
• Not overly roasted or salted nuts and seeds such as almonds, coconuts, walnuts, pecans and sesame.
• Butter, ghee (clarified butter) and all good natural plant-based oils like sesame, olive and sunflower.
•Dairy products like milk, ghee, yogurt and cottage cheese from dairy animals who’ve been treated well.
• Natural sugars such as jaggery, honey, maple syrup and molasses.
• Ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, cumin, coriander, turmeric, mint, basil, fenugreek and other such sweet spices.
• Herbal teas, natural water and fresh juices, particularly of the lemony kind.
• Foods prepared with love and consciousness.
Yoga meditation means training oneself of being in tune and working towards a spiritual enlightment. The main principal of this mediation technique is to concentrate on one’s mental faculties. It requires long hours of practice for the mind to be able to attain such levels of concentration and absorption. The discipline is the most important factor of yoga meditation.
Method of Yoga Meditation
Here are some simple methods of yoga meditation that all of us can follow by taking out few hours from our day.
- Start by sitting in a comfortable posture with your spine erect. Try to take a yoga posture such as padmasana or lotus position.
- Energize your breathing through pranayama.
- Focus for a few minutes and clear out all your thoughts to concentrate on what you are doing. You can try to think of peaceful colors, geometric designs, natural images etc.
- Chant a mantra or prayer to increase positive thought flow.
- Repeat mantras like ‘OM’ to bring stillness to your mind. It is best to repeat a mantra at least 108 times before the meditation.
- Silently observe the peace that comes and then it your mind empty itself slowly and naturally.
You are now ready for yoga meditation.
- Pregnancy Yoga
- All about yoga and meditation
- Benefits of meditation
- Kundalini yoga
- Yoga for a busy day
To read more articles on yoga and meditation click here.