For any coffee lover one of the best additions for a winter morning would be a coffee cake. Rich, flavored and the goodness of good old coffee… can something really beat it? And even though the cake will look quite classy and exotic, it is actually quite simple to make. Here’s how to get started.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- 9-by-13 baking dish
- Butter for greasing
- To start with, preheat your oven at around 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Now mix the flour, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Now add brown sugar, cane sugar and oil and stir together to combine. You now need to set aside 1 cup of this mix for the topping and then move the remaining to an electric mixer.
- Now add baking soda, baking powder, egg and buttermilk to the mixer and blend together.
- Now comes the final bit. Pour the batter into a buttered dish 9 by 13 inch with the help of a spatula.
- Take the topping mix that we had kept aside and sprinkle over the spread. Gently press the topping with the spatula and then bake for around half an hour. You can poke a fork and check if it is done.
- Let it cool and then enjoy your solid slices of coffee.
- Buttermilk can be replaced with whole milk plain yogurt or even Greek yogurt.
- You can also add fresh berries or chopped nuts to the cake batter when you have finished mixing.
Are you one of those who can’t imagine starting a day without a cup of coffee? Well, we now have it on a platter for you!